Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Starting 0.1

Hej
After some "vacations" (not really, just poorly time management) I am back and doing some stuff with the thesis.

SEARCH FOR A DICTIONARY
I started to look at some dictionaries at CMU (http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cmudict).
I took the one called cmudict.0.1 which is the "smallest one", it only has around 100,000 words. I am cutting them down and I hope my first draft will not go above 2000 words, but I think I should cut it down to 1000 in the end.

Probably I am just going nuts and should just read up a bit more to specified a better corpus, but the reason I am doing this now is to have a big group of words we can choose from and also to have as many mixtures of sounds as possible.

Recording 2000 sounds might be a "little" bit unrealistic, but we should talk about that.
I have a dictionary of about 25 (maybe more) words which are numbers. (that one we should do!!).

Question: Will we need a corpus only on the phonemes? I guess we will. Do you have an idea of where we could find one for free?

AUDIO FORMAT
This is another matter I was suppose to check.
I was looking into RAW format and I could find no good links nor tutorials for handling this.
So what I am doing now is creating a prototype with JMF (Java Media Framework) and play with and try to get the pitch and control the volume.

I found a cool website that might help me with this. It is called jsResources.org (http://www.jsresources.org/faq_audio.html) and from there I am trying to create something we could use.
Initially I want to control the volume and finally I will do the pitch which uses seems that I need to implement "fast fourier transform".

This Blog
I started this blog for 2 reasons. One is to force myself to work, that is, I will write comments, questions and findings here. The other reason is for you to know what I am doing, where I am getting stuck and what decisions I am taking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! I've been feeling bad that I've not finished anything yet... Can't get myself to start working on writing though I get ideas what I should write. I'll try tonight to sit down and put the thoughts on paper! Should I post my progress/problems here aswell? Good initiative!

Cheers!

Key said...

Hi
Of course you should post your progress/problems and anything else you want as well. You can add pictures and I think you can also add documents. (I added you as a administrator of this blog, so you can modify it and customize it as you want).

The reason of this blog is for us to write and push ourselves to do this. I need a push and it seems that you also need one, so, lets push ourselves together with this blog.

;)